Ryukoku University is one of the oldest higher education institutions in Japan. Its history spans a period of more than 380 years, beginning with the opening of the “Gakuryo” educational facility at Nishi Hongwanji Temple in 1639. Initially established as a seminary for the promotion of research and Shin Buddhist education, Ryukoku University now endeavors to infuse its Founding Spirit in all research and educational activities, and received the rank of “Top Buddhist University in the World” by uniRank in 2018 and 2019.
With nine Faculties, ten Graduate Schools, and a Junior College, Ryukoku University has approximately 20,000 students enrolled on three campuses (two in Kyoto and one in Shiga Prefecture). Easily accessible by public transportation, students can enjoy their studies in the “cultural heart” of the Japanese archipelago.
Approximately 500 students from countries throughout the world enroll in studies at Ryukoku University each year. Four different courses are offered for International Students:
(1) the Japanese Culture and Language Program (JCLP) in which studies are focused on Japanese language, culture, and society;
(2) Undergraduate Programs;
(3) Graduate Programs;
(4) the Japanese Experience Program in Kyoto (JEP Kyoto), a one semester or one year program offered exclusively to Exchange Students from our Partner Universities, through which our Exchange Students may also register for regular courses if they meet the requirements for the class of their choice.
Kyoto / Shiga, Japan
At present, Ryukoku University has Student Exchange Agreements with 116 Institutions in 45 countries/regions.
The Graduate School of International Studies and the Graduate School of Economics offer English programs (https://www.ryukoku.ac.jp/english2/prog/).
i.e. Bachelor, Technician, Vocational
'- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Letters
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Economics
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Business Administration
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Law
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Policy Science
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in International Studies
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Science and Technology
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Sociology
- Bachelors and Masters Degrees in Agriculture
i.e. Master's, Doctorate, MBA
- Masters Degrees in Letters
- Masters Degrees in Economics
- Masters Degrees in Business Administration
- Masters Degrees in Law
- Masters Degrees in Policy Science
- Masters Degrees in International Studies
- Masters Degrees in Science and Technology
-Masters Degrees in Sociology
- Masters Degrees in Agriculture
- Masters Degree in Practical Shin Buddhist Studies
i.e. Online program, Exchange programs, Language Schools
- Japanese Culture and Language Program (One-Year Intensive Japanese Language Study